Project Manager – Employment Transport with Barnsley Metropolitan Borough Council
About the post:
An exciting opportunity presented itself for a Project Manager to join our extremely busy Strategic Transport team to deliver our large portfolio of major projects over the next several years; having already secured over Â£ 33million from the Transforming Cities Fund. With the recent announcement of the city region’s sustainable transport regulation of Â£ 570 million; this is an unprecedented time for funding, and we have an exciting list of projects. We also continue to make successful calls for tenders for the financing of the implementation of major highway projects, sustainable / active travel programs promoting walking, cycling, health and well-being.
The role of Project Manager will be responsible for the management of road projects that contribute to the achievement of the Council’s strategic objectives and is responsible for leading and overseeing the completion of one or more projects to ensure that the Project objectives are clearly defined and can be delivered within the agreed time frame. time limit.
As an experienced manager accustomed to working on road projects, this role is essential to ensure the establishment of sound project management underpinned by governance and assurance processes. Influencing and working with stakeholders is also essential to ensure that agreed project outcomes are delivered to enable the benefits to be realized.
- Responsible for managing small to medium sized complex projects in accordance with the latest industry and contract standards, contributing to the strategic objectives of the Board of delivering agreed results on time and within cost constraints.
- Responsible for providing specialist expertise and knowledge to develop a strong and agreed-upon business case and project execution plan to align project deliverables with Board goals.
- Responsible for the effective management of the project and the project team, ensuring that current capacity is in line with project requirements, to ensure delivery of project results and to develop innovative and improved working methods.
- Responsible for monitoring project delivery, alignment with agreed budget and scope and reporting as required. Clearly define the resource needs of the project in order to facilitate prioritization by the department head.
- Responsible for ensuring agreement with clients on the quantified benefits to be achieved and the measures necessary to monitor the impact. Actively design and manage the project plan to ensure results are achieved.
- Responsible for overseeing the risk management of the project, including the identification of project risks and issues and the means by which these can be mitigated and intensified, as appropriate.
- Responsible for ensuring that effective change management processes are in place and that changes to deliverables agreed to with stakeholders are documented.
- Responsible for developing an effective governance and assurance framework, to support decision making and ensure regular reporting on progress through proactive engagement with project sponsors (where applicable). Work collaboratively with and manage relationships with internal stakeholders and external partners.
Barnsley is in a period of unprecedented development and good transport, and transport planning is the cornerstone of our future success. The demand for specialized project management solutions in our project pipeline is greater than ever.
This is an exciting and important role where you will be part of a dedicated technical team of experts who will allow you to use the expertise of this team as well as use your own initiative when solving problems. . With excellent communication and negotiation skills, you will need to work effectively with sections of the transportation team, including highway design, but also engage and seek professional advice as needed.
Do you have ambition and an eye to identify and pursue future opportunities to manage our portfolio of road / transport infrastructure projects?
If this sounds like you, this is your opportunity to join a dynamic team, bringing together highway design, transportation planning including highway and transportation investment program management, strategic traffic management, supporting complex infrastructure projects, active travel programs, travel demand management and behavior change.
What you will need
To join us you will need a professional degree or postgraduate degree in a relevant discipline at level 6 and be able to prove recent professional development in a related field.
Project management qualification or accreditation
Evidence of having completed multiple projects in a similar role and experience, contributing to a range of other projects and / or programs
Evidence of preparation of WebTAG compliant business cases
You will need to have political awareness and good communication and negotiation skills as well as experience working with elected officials.
A lot to look forward to
We live and work according to our four values: honesty, teamwork, excellent service and pride in what we do. As a member of our team, you can be sure that we will do everything possible to help you be truly excellent. You see, we prioritize learning and empowering staff to realize their potential. This is one of the reasons we got the IIP Gold and why you will find your career here inspiring and rewarding.
If you meet the criteria identified, this position offers an incredible opportunity to achieve your ambitions. So we look forward to hearing from you.
For an informal discussion, please contact either Tracey Brewer, Head of Transport on 07387 549343 (email@example.com) or Andy Jones on 07886 525904 (firstname.lastname@example.org)
To achieve your ambitions while shaping a bright future for our communities, apply now!
Please use the documents below to help you complete your application form.
Job profile: Job Profile.pdf
Exposure profile of the vacant position: Exhibition profile.pdf
Please be sure to view the job profile for this role, as you will need to demonstrate in your application form how you meet the required criteria.
Barnsley Council is passionate about equal opportunities and flexible working. We are committed to equality and diversity in all aspects of our work and welcome candidates with a great diversity of talents. We are committed to protecting and promoting the well-being of vulnerable children, youth and adults, and we expect all staff and volunteers to share this commitment. Click here for more information.
Resumes will not be accepted.